[ARCHIVED] Does anyone use the same Question Bank for classes of two different levels and segregate the questions to be asked by the class level?

Jump to solution
jhollywood2
Community Novice

When I create a group for a quiz to ask randomized questions I want Canvas to pull those questions from a subset of the Question Bank and not the whole bank (level 1 versus level 2 questions). Some of the questions may be the same but not all  Can this be done without creating two different Question Banks?

Labels (2)
1 Solution
James
Community Champion

@jhollywood2  

In classic quizzes (the one that most people use but Canvas has said they are phasing out), there are two related but separate concepts.

A question group is a part of the quiz and allows you to randomize a pool of questions. This is the only way to have quizzes randomly deliver from a pool of questions (I'm purposely avoiding the use of bank here but it is what most people would consider a question bank).

question bank is not part of the quiz directly, but a holder of questions that may be included in one or more quizzes.

You can make your entire quiz without involving question banks at all. It is the question group that determines the randomization.

If you have questions in a question bank, then you may incorporate them into the quiz. There are two techniques for doing this.

• You may find individual questions from a question bank and include them in the quiz directly. They may go as an individual question or as part of a question group. There is not way to automatically select level 1 vs level 2, you have to check each question individually. I would use a prefix in the title of the question to indicate what level they are. Here is a lesson from the Canvas Instructor Guide with more information: How do I create a quiz by finding questions in a question bank?  
  • If you are using a question group, then you can link to a question bank. With this option, you do not get to select individual questions to pull from, it uses the entire bank. If you choose this option in this scenario then you would need to use two question banks as there is no way to selectively choose questions. Linking to a question group prevents some functionality such as regrading questions. Here is a lesson from the Canvas Instructor Guide with more information: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-26509-how-do-i-create-a-quiz-with-a-question-group-linked-t... 

People find distinction between question group and question bank confusing. In New Quizzes, there are no more question groups.

View solution in original post

0 Likes