[ARCHIVED] Stop browser translation of online foreign language assignments

szw496
Community Novice

I am an online foreign language teacher, and I suspect but can't prove that my students may simply be translating their assignment pages using their browser. The browser can simply translate an entire page into English. The browser can also translate all the answers they type back into the target language.

I know that there is an html command to override the browser's ability to translate, and one can put it into the code at the beginning of the page. But CANVAS does not accept the command, I assume for security reasons. There is no such command on the whitelisted commands for CANVAS. 

Is it possible to get a "don't translate" or "stop translation" command whitelisted? I think this has implications for all online foreign language courses. There are workarounds, but they are so time consuming that they can't be practically employed. There are secure exam sites that cost tens of thousands of dollars to use. It would be so simple just to have a command at the top of the page to ensure against cheating.

Labels (2)
Users who also had this question