The Voting Window is Open!

The content in this blog is over six months old, and the comments are closed. For the most recent product updates and discussions, you're encouraged to explore newer posts from Instructure's Product Managers.

KenzHughes
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Instructure.png

15 Themes - 9 for Canvas and 6 for Impact - are officially in “Open for Voting” to the Community from today, October 16th to November 15th, 2023.  Over the past month, our team has reviewed all of the themes and selected the following based on the themes that…

• Address areas that have been met with the greater controversy or pain expressed by our users
  • Align with the shifts taking place within the educational landscape, such as competency-based education and student-driven learning 
  • Are achievable and attainable by our team to deliver based on domain knowledge and capacity if prioritized by the community

During the voting window, Community members are encouraged to:

• Ask questions of our team or post comments on the Open for Voting themes to build a case for why others should vote for the theme (put those high school debate skills to work!)
  • Vote on themes that speak to the problems or areas that, if addressed, would bring the most value to you and your organization
  • Remember that the themes and individual ideas do not represent how we will solve the problem; that will be determined once it is prioritized as our team goes through discovery and planning. 
    • As prioritized themes move through discovery, we may discover that not all or any of the ideas can be addressed. Our team will update the theme accordingly and notify the Community.
  • Subscribe to themes you have voted on or are interested in so you can easily follow new activity, including comments or changes in status.

For more details on contributing during this phase of the Ideas & Themes process, please consult the How do I participate with themes? Community guide. You can view the themes that are open for voting by visiting the Canvas Themes and the Impact Themes boards.

At the conclusion of the voting period, our team will thoroughly review the votes and comments to determine which themes will be elevated to the “prioritized” status. This will signify our team’s commitment to development solutions that address the specific needs of those themes, and we will continue to engage with the community throughout the development process.

The content in this blog is over six months old, and the comments are closed. For the most recent product updates and discussions, you're encouraged to explore newer posts from Instructure's Product Managers.

13 Comments
RaeJobst-GU
Community Participant

The link above to Impact Themes doesn't show any - you need to change the filter to "Open for voting" on that screen or follow this link: Impact themes open for voting

leward
Community Contributor

Would it be possible for someone from Instructure to summarize what's been accomplished with the the four themes prioritized during the previous round.  The only indication that specific features in those themes are being worked on is a status of "complete," and there are very few of those.  Since Instructure has already indicated that inclusion in a prioritized theme does not mean an idea will be developed, it would be helpful if ideas under development were flagged as such.  

SandraONeil
Community Explorer

I came to vote for something because it said it was a theme and I can't see it or find how to vote for it (locking calendar/appointments)

JamesSekcienski
Community Coach
Community Coach

@SandraONeil 

Is this the theme you are referring to? Improve calendar scheduling and syncing options If so, then unfortunately it isn't available to vote for during this round.  There are several other themes that I'm interested too, but will need to wait for them to be included for voting in the future. 🤞

Be sure to review the 9 Canvas themes that are currently included in the voting round this time and show your support for the ones you are most interested in seeing developed: Canvas Themes Open for Voting 

KenzHughes
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Author

@RaeJobst-GU thanks for reaching out - I have tested this on my end and I'm not seeing the same issue. Would you mind sharing a screenshot with me so I can see what you are experiencing?

KenzHughes
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Author

@leward thank you for your comment. We've provided an overview in this post here: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/The-Product-Blog/Ideas-amp-Themes-Open-for-Voting-October-16-Nove... 

Please let me know if you are looking for more detail!

leward
Community Contributor

Hi @KenzHughes,

I am interested in knowing specifically which ideas in each theme are being worked on.  In the past, before this new approach to feature prioritization, when an idea was being worked on, the status of the idea changed to "in-development" or something along those lines, whereas now we don't seem to know anything until an idea has been delivered and is marked complete.  When I vote for a theme, it's because there are a number of ideas in the theme that I care strongly about,  At the same time, Instructure has made it clear that inclusion in a prioritized theme does not necessarily mean that an idea will be developed.  So, I'd like to know much more about ideas in each theme instructure plans to take up.  

RaeJobst-GU
Community Participant

@KenzHughes 

The link in this sentence to Impact Themes goes to the view below:

You can view the themes that are open for voting by visiting the Canvas Themes and the Impact Themes boards. (https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Impact-Themes/idb-p/impact-themes?sort=&status=open-for-voting)

The correct link should be:

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Impact-Themes/idb-p/impact-themes?sort=&status=voting

zero impact themes.jpg

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

@RaeJobst-GU - Thank you for pointing this out to us. The link has been updated!

gloriamontiel
Community Member

this is awsome for you teaching us alot of cool stuff 

rauscht
Community Member

How do I vote?  Saying the voting window is open and then NOT telling us how to vote clearly and concisely is a non starter.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @rauscht -

You can view the themes that are open for voting by visiting the Canvas Themes and the Impact Themes boards.

Once you select Canvas Themes or Impact Themes, you should use the filter on the page to select Open for Voting. Near each theme's title, you'll see an up arrow. To learn more, please refer to the How do I participate with themes?  guide.

roobrien
Community Novice

There is nothing here to indicate how to vote for this theme!