Studio Capture is released: Try Our New Lightweight Screen Recorder!

AkosFarago
Instructure
Instructure

Canvas.png

If this is the first time you hear about this then I suggest you head to my September post on Announcing a New Screen Recorder in Studio for a deeper understanding on why we committed ourselves to our own screen capture solution besides Screencast-O-Matic. Furthermore, there is an important detail to take note of:

Studio Capture is in Beta mode. It means that we highly recommend you to experiment with it, share your feedback, improvement ideas or issues you may experience. The most important limitations are that it is only supported on Chrome and Edge browsers, and that it is currently optimized for Full-HD recordings, with a maximum resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels. It performs best when your screen matches or is below this resolution. If your screen has a higher resolution, you may experience performance issues during recording or a decrease in the video quality.

In addition to that, we are continuously going to enhance the recorder: stability and performance will be our top priority in this beta period however, recovering videos due to sudden browser crash or network interrupt is already supported in this version. Certain features are also planned but we're especially interested in hearing from you about potential valuable additions. 

AkosFarago_0-1707242131523.png

Our second goal with the new lightweight recorder was adding back to back support as this was a burning need for longer recordings such as consecutive lectures. Our recommendation is to confirm that the solution does not have performance or quality issues for short, few minutes long one videos on a device before committing to recording a longer lecture. You will also notice that there is no limit on the recording length. Our extensive testing indicates that if the device successfully runs the recording for a few minutes then it won’t have issues with significantly longer ones either however, we will keep a close eye on this and it might even change in the future.

Furthermore, I already got questions about our plans with Screencast-O-Matic. Please be assured that there are no intentions to discontinue its support. Studio Capture should give you a lightweight alternative with back to back support (psst, SpeedGrader will also leverage this soon!) and continuous development. For more details, I highly recommend you to start with the guides

Do not hesitate to comment or DM me if you have a question!

Best,

Akos

23 Comments