Essential Accessibility Updates: Review Your Beta Instances!

KataKeri
Instructure
Instructure

Canvas.png

UPDATE: Production release day have been moved to July 15th (Monday) to ensure institutions have enough time to check and adjust their customisations. 

Dear Canvas Catalog Users,

We’re excited to announce that on June 25, 2024 (Tuesday), we will release important accessibility-related bug fixes to the Canvas Catalog beta environment. This update will include changes to the HTML structure, which may impact your existing JS/CSS customisations.

To ensure a smooth transition in your production environment, please review your beta instances and verify that everything functions as expected. If any issues arise, please make sure to make the necessary adjustments.
Production release will happen on July 15th, 2024 (Monday).

Key changes on the main page to note:

• all pages will have an H1 heading, including the main page
  • on the main page there will be a pagination instead of  the Load more button
  • user menu in the header will be changed - e.g. instead of <div id="user-nav" /> there will be <div id="header-menu-container" />

At Instructure, accessibility is a top priority. This update is a significant step towards making Catalog fully responsive and achieving our goal of a published VPAT. )

For any questions, please feel free to reach out.

Best regards,

The Catalog Team

10 Comments
KathyPalm
Community Participant

Thank you! Will there be any additional information about this in the release notes? Thanks!

KataKeri
Instructure
Instructure
Author

@KathyPalm Since these considered as bug fixes, we won't do release notes for this (as we usually don't publish release notes for bugs, just new features or feature updates). 

KathyPalm
Community Participant

Thanks for the reply. I do understand that logic of it being a bug fix, but if there's such a risk that it could have widespread impact on our custom code it surpsies me that it isn't highlighted in release or deploy notes to ensure it's not missed. We'll be sure to take a look once it's available in beta.

JenniferJWhite
Community Participant

Hi, @KathyPalm - Yes, we looked this morning and have noted a number of impacts to our customized code in beta, and our developer will be out on leave for the next two weeks (summer hols!). We've asked for a delay in the push to prod, and I believe that has been granted (moved to 7/15/2024).

@KataKeri - I think you're going to update this post with the new push-to-production date of 15 July -- I'm just here at the moment and saw Kathy's post, so wanted to make mention of this!  🙂

rpsloan
Community Participant

@KataKeri I checked Beta and I did notice that the header logo got big, and for some of our logos with transparent backgrounds, it is going over where the feature region is. Is this as designed? Previously, the uploaded file gets restricted to the 120 pixels by 350 pixels? Does this mean subcatalogs would have to reuploaded their logos to this specific file size?

KataKeri
Instructure
Instructure
Author

@rpsloan this was not intentional, and we're fixing it right away. sorry for the inconvenience.

@KathyPalm I understand your concern and I will let the new Catalog Product Manager know about this to discuss with the stakeholders how to handle bug fixes and the announcements for those. 

@JenniferJWhite Post has been updated with the new date. 

jsowalsk
Community Coach
Community Coach

@KataKeri Can you let us know when this is fixed since our banner size is huge?

emily-mckeag
Community Explorer

@KataKeri looking at our beta instance, so far our customized JS and CSS seem to be fine. One thing I did notice is that the login and user navigation text is really hard to see with our background. Iowa's branding is black and gold with the banner being black. The login button is now a dark blue color in beta. Is this part of the accessibility update? Is there a way to change the color of this? The user nav color is supposed to be #d9aa00 which it shows as being correct in our custom CSS. I can see this being a pretty big visual accessibility barrier. Thanks!

KataKeri
Instructure
Instructure
Author

@rpsloan @jsowalsk  - It's fixed. No more changes will be added to beta, so you can start testing.

@emily-mckeag Yes, the login button is originally blue. It was part of the accessibility change. Seems like your CSS is not working there anymore, because the HTML has been changed, so this needs to be adjusted on your side. 

As a heads up I updated the post with this for the header changes:

• e.g. instead of <div id="user-nav" /> there will be <div id="header-menu-container" />
rpsloan
Community Participant

Thanks @KataKeri!