Account Calendar Improvements

The content in this blog is over six months old, and the comments are closed. For the most recent product updates and discussions, you're encouraged to explore newer posts from Instructure's Product Managers.

AllisonHowell
Instructure
Instructure

Product Blog Headers -- 1200 x 200.png

TL;DR: Account Calendars are in production! We want to gather your feedback for future iterations. Admins, take the survey here

On November 19, our team released Account Calendars, a new feature that allows institutions to enable calendars for various sub-accounts that instructors and learners can subscribe to. This was a longtime request from our community that will help facilitate communication of key information across institutions. We’ve received a great response from institutions across the globe and look forward to hearing your success stories! 

Our goal was to deliver value to you as soon as possible, so we released this feature with the understanding that many of you would require additional functionality in order to fully adopt this feature. We’ve received a lot of feedback in this vein since we first announced its release in October, and we are already working on turning that feedback into feature improvements. So, in the spirit of transparency, I wanted to update you on what we’ve heard, what we plan to take action on in the near term, and how you can help us continue to make improvements to Account Calendars. 

What we’ve been hearing

By far, the number one piece of feedback we’ve received is the need to auto-subscribe your community to a particular calendar or set of calendars. In the initial release, we opted to keep things simple, meaning a user subscribes to an account calendar voluntarily. This is a nice experience for the user, but we heard a lot of concern from administrators that their community, particularly younger learners, may never subscribe to important calendars. 

Another piece of feedback we’ve heard is from our Canvas for Elementary campuses that want to mark account calendar events as important dates and to have those events show up in the “Schedule” tab. 

And unsurprisingly, much of the feedback we’ve received has been related to larger improvements to the Canvas Calendar in general, such as establishing a feed from another calendar application to avoid maintaining multiple calendars, creating multi-day events, and making event creation easier. 

We are so grateful for the feedback we’ve received thus far and we’ll continue to evaluate it as we hear from our community.  

How you can help

We are already taking action on several pieces of feedback we’ve heard from you, but we need you to help us refine our designs and properly prioritize. Canvas Admins, this is your call to action! Please take this survey ! Your participation will provide valuable information that will help us chart a path forward. 

Thanks to all of you that have taken the time to help us and we look forward to reading your survey responses!

The content in this blog is over six months old, and the comments are closed. For the most recent product updates and discussions, you're encouraged to explore newer posts from Instructure's Product Managers.

5 Comments
BethCrook
Community Coach
Community Coach

Thank you for all of the amazing work on this feature and opening the conversation to allow us to help make it be the best for us users!  I’m so excited to roll it out very soon to my community in 2023!

AllisonHowell
Instructure
Instructure
Author

Thank you, @BethCrook! Looking forward to hearing how the roll out goes. 

BethCrook
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @AllisonHowell! Are there any updates about having the default to subscribed?

AllisonHowell
Instructure
Instructure
Author

Unfortunately I don't have a timeline yet. I'm making a note of your interest and will reach out when we have something more definitive. 

mary_speight
Community Participant

I'd love to know the auto-subscribe option is added as well!