More Game Design (and Making) with ChatGPT - Our Survey Says........

GideonWilliams
Community Coach
Community Coach

Buoyed by the success of the last Chat GTP designed game (see Bringing AI into Canvas (well, using ChatGPT to cr... - Instructure Community - 606714 (canvaslms.co... and wanting to see if it wasn't just a one off, I set about having a go at a Family Feud/Family Fortunes (in the UK) style game.

The aim was also to try to get close to the finished article in fewer iterations than the previous model.

I started by checking that Chat GPT_3.5 was aware of the quiz show:

game.PNG

Which of course it was!

Next came writing the prompt. I still need some practice at doing this and perhaps some guidance as to how best to develop the solution. Part of the prompt is shown below:

pic1.PNG

To try to prevent completely different designs appearing when I changed a few features in the prompt, I added this line towards the end:

extra.PNG

I'm not sure that this made a huge difference to be honest.

All in all, it took about 11 iterations before I was happy with the design. With a little knowledge of HTML, I was able to go in and make some style and form changes directly in the notepad file.

ChatGPT decides what are the most popular sports and then gives arbitrary 'scores' to them. I can go into the HTML code and make simple changes to the order and some spellings.

There is work still to be done in terms of the styles but here is the initial page:

pic2.PNG

To play the game, you enter your guess in the input box and press the Enter button. If the answer appears on the list, then you will see it in the table at the correct location. If the answer is not on the list, then you lose a life, signified by the red X. You get 3 lives in total. If you don't solve the problem by then you have to reset as the input box is 'locked'.

Here is the game in action:

pic3.PNG

When your score passes 50, up pops this message:

pic5.PNG

In my game, the message lasts for 5 seconds then you are automatically taken to a website. If I was designing this for a Treasure Hunt then I could link it to a hidden page.

Reflections....

I've always wanted to make a game liked this and was very pleased that this model works. There are plenty of things to develop further:

• Create a two-player game (like the TV show)
  • Show the running score in the pop-up message 
  • Set up an external link if you get everything wrong
  • Work out how to add multiple questions on the same template
  • Add sound for when the X symbols appear
  • How to improve my prompt engineering stuff

Again, another game designed with Chat GPT providing the heft and me on the reigns.

Partnership working well so far...!