Professor Tab Feature in Canvas Admin + Sorting Options

0 Likes

Good day!

I am a teacher assistant who was tasked to keep track of the courses our faculty will handle for the upcoming term so as to make sure the units are equally distributed among them. I am emailing you to propose a new tab and a couple of sorting options to be implemented in the Canvas Admin system so that it would be easier for us who are tasked with this kind of job or other similar tasks to accomplish this faster and more efficiently.

To give a brief description of my own experience, it took me a good number of hours in one week to accomplish this task and although I expected it to be tedious work, what I did not expect was how difficult it would be to cross-check because of how the courses are alphabetically sorted. In any other context, this sorting option would be favorable for some people but for us who need to see that the courses are equally distributed among the faculty, it barely helps; especially when the courses all have the same name but with different sections under different professors. 

Because of this experience and how hectic I found the process, I decided to put this in my recommendations for my task report. At first, I proposed to my unit head that there should be a "sorted by professor" sorting option for these courses so that we can automatically see the courses and their information but after looking at the current options that Canvas Admin has, we both concluded that making a tab that purely contains the faculty members would be most beneficial.

To expound further, the tab (preferably labeled as "Professors" or "Faculty") will contain all faculty members under their respective departments and will be sorted alphabetically (format: LAST, First) and upon clicking the names, the courses that they handled/will be handling will appear. Assuming that this new feature will have the same issue as with the "People" tab (all courses, both active and inactive, are shown), I also propose a couple of sorting options, namely: sort by A.Y., sort by Active Courses, and sort by Inactive Courses. My main concern while doing the task was that the courses are alphabetically sorted which, as mentioned, lessens efficiency. These sorting options will not only increase efficiency and productivity but also lessen the time consumed in doing tasks such as the one I did. It would also make everything more organized.

With this new feature, seemingly trivial matters such as sorting options will make a huge difference in the accuracy of both datasets and the efficiency of the way in which the task will be accomplished.

I sincerely hope you consider this suggestion.

Tags (4)
2 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.