Canvas Collection Sharing

Jump to solution
BradMAXWELL
Community Member

Hi, I am trying to collaborate with colleagues across multiple instances of Canvas. when sharing or adding users we are do not have permission to invite external people (even though we work for the same organisation). When we exporting & importing the course any page that has a link to a canvas studio link is simply blank. eg user 1 creates an assessment with an video linked to canvas studio. when this is exported and imported to another user the assessment is blank with little hope to quickly rebuild it.

What process/ procedure would we need to implement to share and collaborate on a course. is there a way to export the library collections for other users to use?

note: i dont know if im using the word instances correctly. i am aware that the people im working with work in different areas and their canvas web address has a different numbered prefix which i think prevents them from sharing.

0 Likes
1 Solution
MatthewClifft
Instructure
Instructure

Hi BradMAXWELL,

Based on what you're stating, you and your colleagues create course content, in this case studio quizzes, export the course from Canvas, and then re-import the course export package into another user's course shell. I tested this process and it seems to work within a singular instance for the video itself, but it wouldn't work across multiple instances unfortunately, as when you embed a studio video into a Canvas course, you're adding a link to the studio video, and that video is still within your instance of Canvas, but not theirs.

As an aside, you can tell you're in a different instance of Canvas when you look at the URL of the site; for example, https://canvas.instructure.com is it's own instance, but https://k12.instructure.com is a different instance. Sometimes one instance can have multiple names, but generally that's used for vanity purposes.

If you and your colleagues are not able to see each other through the "share media" option in Studio, like in this guide, it's likely you are in separate instances. If that's the case, you will have to download the video from studio, and then provide it to your colleagues for them to re-upload it to their studio, but video quizzes are not transferable through this method either.

It also looks like this has come up in an archived idea request in the past, but hasn't yet been made into a feature in Canvas.

View solution in original post

0 Likes