Latest Topics

The latest questions and discussions in Canvas Question Forum. Ask a question, start a discussion, contribute to the global Instructure Community

Filter by Label:

I've been teaching on Canvas for a few years now, and I've never seen this before. I post comments when I grade assignments. I know that if students have email notifications turned on for assignment comments, they will receive the comment with the gr...

Community Participant
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 Replies

I am teaching a "stacked" class, one is a graduate level class and one is na undergraduate level classes.  I want to merge the two classes into one.  I see an option for my other class that has labs associated with it to merge them into one, but no s...

• 0 Likes
  • 4 Replies

I would like to implement an "ungrading" policy while still utilizing the Canvas grade book to track completion and proficiency.  Please help!I have revised all of my rubrics to "proficiency" ratings and removed the points.I developed a grading schem...

• 4 Likes
  • 1 Replies

The prerequisite function for Modules is great. We'd also like to remove the dates and run the course based on completing each individual assignment within a module in order. Is it possible to force students through a path - unlocking each successive...

• 0 Likes
  • 3 Replies

When a course is imported from a previous one, the announcements get anonymized (i.e., the name/avatar of the originator is replaced  with a "circle U") and other help-documents indicate that students won't receive them; although, they evidently do s...

• 0 Likes
  • 7 Replies

When I scroll left a little too much, Canvas takes me to the previous page.  At best this is annoying and at worst has cost me an entire page of typed instructions.  Is there a way to turn this feature off in settings?

• 0 Likes
  • 1 Replies

Hello,I would like to be able to lock student access to exam solutions based on whether they have had the exam graded. Is this possible?Example: 1) Given an exam on Tuesday (that requires file upload and is not autograded)2) Grade the exam for all th...

• 0 Likes
  • 1 Replies

Hello,Has anyone that used SISk12 ran into the issue of a version of an assignment not transferring over from Canvas to SIS?Scenario:I have three versions of my final 1, 1.1, and 1.2.  Today in class students took 1 and 1.1, but only 1.2 which no one...

Community Member
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 0 Replies

Hello Community,I was working through some MasteryPath work and ran across this Guide:  How can I choose an assignment path in a module?  The document was written for the student to make choices from the assignment group. How do I create such an assi...

• 0 Likes
  • 3 Replies

I'm attempting to make a pre-class quiz that helps guide students to the topics we'll cover in class. I was hoping to use the Quiz feature to do this, but it's not quite what I had in mind...let me elaborate:I want to give my students instructions on...

Community Explorer
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 1 Replies

I need to download all student submissions over the course of the semester, with all grade annotations.Is there a way to do this all at once, or do I need to individually download each one?There are about 500 submissions, so downloading them individu...

• 0 Likes
  • 3 Replies

When bulk editing assignment due dates (Assignments -> 3 dots -> Edit Assignment Dates) I would like to be able to add/edit the times in addition to changing the dates. My classes meet at different times on different days. I like to set my due times ...

• 5 Likes
  • 10 Replies

Using the New Quizzes version of Canvas, is there functionality that allows me as the instructor to release quiz results at a particular time and date vs. the student seeing their quiz results once they complete and submit the quiz?  I give students ...

• 0 Likes
  • 1 Replies

Follow me on this story: Steve takes a test 1st block.  He gets a 18 out of 20.  He looks at his score and views which questions he gets wrong.   Then, at lunch, he opens the test while sitting with his girlfriend Mel.  Mel gets to see what Steve ans...

• 0 Likes
  • 2 Replies

Hello Fellow Admins,This is my second year working at my current school, my second year using Canvas and my second year using Canvas as an admin.  So I'm still sort of a newbie here.    I am looking for your insight, advice, and support on the follo...

Community Contributor
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 0 Replies

Dear Reader,I am putting this out for consideration and hopefully effecting change. Could a new option be made in Canvas quizzes, in keeping with the naming scheme, Multiple Numerical Answers? This option would be similar to the present "Numerical An...

• 0 Likes
  • 3 Replies

Role: Teacher My district has implemented both a Proficiency-Based Learning scale and a "recency" policy, meaning that only the most recent assessment of a standard is used to calculate student grades. (No decaying average has certainly been interest...

• 0 Likes
  • 1 Replies

I'm a graduate assistant who's been helping professors and TAs develop content for their courses, and now that we're working on moving to New Quizzes (and I have to help export them from sharing sites to individual courses as well), I'm going to have...

Community Contributor
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 1 Replies

I have an exam consisting of 10 different groups (10 question banks), each group contains 8 problems on the same field. So the exam consists of 10 problems. I know that questions within each group can be randomized but what about randomizing groups? ...

• 1 Likes
  • 3 Replies

I realize this is kind of a dumb question, but  I have not been able to find an answer.I am using weighted assignment groups, and everything is graded as either complete/incomplete or with my own grading scheme (pass/needs revision/missing). What I c...

• 1 Likes
  • 8 Replies

Hi Canvas Community,The following might sound naive - but I'm a novice at some of this - so please excuse...The list of H5P items available to me via the 'Canvas Custom Interface elements' module, where the required html coding for each type is loca...

Community Novice
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 1 Replies

This is an odd thing that's popped up. I just gave an exam to my students, and there is a question group that picks one of two questions for my students. Each is worth 6 points, and I designated 6 points in the question group as well. But it is incor...

• 0 Likes
  • 2 Replies

Hi, For some time now I have known that Canvas 'rewrites' any HTML you enter in it's 'raw HTML' edit facility. There are too many problems with this for me to even start listing them. Hence, the short version: is there a way to suppress Canvas's rewr...

• 1 Likes
  • 2 Replies

I had students post their project work in Discussions for peer review--I want to save/download those projects for future reference...how can I do that? (there's no easy option like there is if it was an Assignment).

• 1 Likes
  • 1 Replies

Canvas Data API downloads empty files to my system. Is something wrong with the connection or is it happening only to me?

Community Member
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 0 Replies

I want to use the to-do list sidebar as my agenda/planner, but I don't know how to filter out my old courses from the drop-down menu. Does anyone know how to accomplish this? Or maybe this isn't even an option, in which case I hope that this filter c...

• 0 Likes
  • 9 Replies

My students regularly feel that they are doing worse than they are because Canvas doesn't seem to have a method of setting an auto-graded quiz to be extra credit. Has Canvas fixed this, and I am just missing it?  There have been promises that this fe...

Community Contributor
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 Replies

I have template courses that I copy over every semester to each instance of the course.Within this course there are a few items that have non-zero default grades.If I set a default grade, will that grade apply when students begin adding the course, o...

• 0 Likes
  • 1 Replies

Learning Mastery Paths would be great for differentiation for student assignments.  In the Skyward to Gradebook Passback it says that Learning Mastery Paths do not passback.  Assign to Everyone: assignments must be assigned to a specific section or t...

Community Member
Canvas Question Forum
  • 0 Likes
  • 0 Replies

Is there a way to assign full point credit to all the students on an essay question once the students have taken the quiz (similar to how it's done for multiple choice questions)?

• 0 Likes
  • 1 Replies