Whether image embeds properly in Quiz answer box seems to depend on where it's copied from?

jrs294
Community Explorer

Hello,

This is a bit of a long question on a very narrow topic...

The quizzes I'm designing for my students prompts them to embed images as their answers. I want to do it this way because when I've had students upload images in the past, students have often submitted answers before the file finished uploading.

I have a web-based app that creates URLs for embedding images. Pasting them into the Quiz answers box automatically embeds the image. (Using the "embed" feature from the menu does the same thing.) Strangely, whether the embed works or not seems to depend on what the URL was copied from. That is , when I highlight the URL in the app that creates the image, click Control+C, and then paste into the Quiz answer box, I see the URL rather than an image preview:

Screenshot 2024-06-26 5.36.56 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-06-26 5.39.46 AM.png

When I use the "COPY URL" button, for the embed URL, in the app creating the image, pasting this into the Quiz answer box works:

Screenshot 2024-06-26 5.41.49 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-06-26 5.43.45 AM.png

A very strange thing about this is that if I copy the URL from the app (see picture above), although it doesn't bring up the preview in Canvas' answer box, if I paste it in Notepad (or Word or whatever) first, then copy again, and then paste in the Canvas answer box, it does automatically bring up a preview.

Any theory of what's going on here?

The app I'm using to create these diagrams and embed codes for images of them is mine. The point of the embedd image URL feature is to be able to embed images in Canvas quizzes. So we can tweak the code to solve this if anyone knows what the problem with the highlighted and copied URL is.

Thanks!

0 Likes