Previous submissions deleted with new submission

Jump to solution
bsmaff
Community Novice

Just to ask is it possible for students to upload on a weekly basis their vocational maths and English as well as direct study homework on Canvas assignments?

Only as the students explained when they clicked resubmit so can add their week one and two homework, it seemed to delete the previous and only could submit in one interval.

Have checked the Canvas controls and have ensured they have unlimited number of uploads, but I would like this homework to roll through each week, so they are just adding one homework per week in one assignment area on Canvas.

If you can please let me know if this possible or which assignment controls need to update on Canvas so this is possible.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
paul_fynn
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @bsmaff 

the way that Canvas Assignments work is that each submission made becomes the 'latest submission' (and in our institution that is the one that our regs require to be marked.

As a teacher you can view any previous submissions to the same point, but a comment or grade against a previous submission will not be transferred to a later submission.

Generally I wouldn't see Assignment file or text upload as suitable for incremental work, and if late work processes are based on whether a submission has already been made (as ours) then the presence of earlier work may annul a late work opporttunity.

We are currently working with former Mahara users with a view to using Discussions as an assignment format - this can include file attachments or embeds.

The Canvas Roadmap also indicates that there will be the introduction of interim Discussion deadlines, which would make this a more attractive option.

Unless the intention is that students share their work, privacy can be ensured by setting the Discussion as Group, and creating a Private Group Set of Groups of one 

View solution in original post