Default Assignment Rubric won't delete

Jump to solution
zdlair
Community Explorer

The option to delete the default assignment rubric does not appear when creating a rubric. There should be a trashcan icon that removes this default rubric. There should be a trashcan icon next to the pencil icon. This allows for the default outcome to be deleted from the rubric.There should be a trashcan icon next to the pencil icon. This allows for the default outcome to be deleted from the rubric.

1 Solution
Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

@zdlair -

This exact question was asked one hour before yours posted.  my response in it should explain what you are seeing (not an ideal case, but it does work)

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Canvas-Question-Forum/Deleting-an-outcome-in-a-rubric/m-p/595934#... 

I could be wrong, but I do not recall if when you start a new rubric if the trash can showed where you could delete the only criteria listed.  In any case, save the rubric, reload the rubric page(must be done so that the rubric created shows in the list of rubrics) and then edit the rubric and the trashcan is there.

In answering this question again, I did some more playing around and now anytime you update a rubric, you cannot just go back into edit and see the trashcan, the rubric page has to be reloaded again and then you can edit the rubric to see the trash cans.

So, it looks like a support ticket needs to be put into Canvas to fix the issue.  The latest update may have screwed this up like it did with the view pane in speedgrader.

Edit: it appears that you cannot save a rubric without any criteria.  In playing around with rubrics a little more, I created a rubric with 2 criteria.  saved it and then edited it deleting both criteria.  the update rubric would not work.  Once I added one criteria it would allow for updating the rubric.  That is probably why the rubric is starting off with a default criteria that cannot be deleted.

Ron

View solution in original post