Data loss when student moves classes

Jump to solution
KaylaClucas
Community Member

Hi Canvas Support Team,

Our online school has a concerned teacher. I thought it best to reach out to you directly for this one. The teacher asks:

"I have a student moving into my class from another, this has happened a number of times in the last year, one way or the other. One issue we had the last time around is that Canvas assignment data is lost in the move.

Obviously, homework grades will be different but internal Assessment is standard. Is there any way that this data at least can be copied across with the student to help with reporting and prize giving."

I look forward to any advice you can give me in this matter.

Best Regards,

Kayla

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @KaylaClucas,

Submission/grade data is stored at the course level in Canvas.  Depending on how your school uses Canvas, the answer could vary a bit.  Generally if the student is moving to a different course shell (school.instructure.com/coruses/YYYYYY to school.instructure.com/courses/ZZZZZZ), then grades and submissions will not transfer over (even if the course content has been imported from the same source).  If these are multiple sections within the same course shell, the student grade and submissions would remain.

In the first scenario where grades/submissions don't come over, a teacher of the original course could export the grade data before the student switches courses and provide it to a teacher of the new course.  That would at least help get grade data correct, but the submissions/comments themselves aren't even transferrable via API or anything as far as I know.

Hope this makes sense and answers your question, even if it's not the answer

-Chris

View solution in original post