Captions and screen-sharing ability in Canvas' Media Recordings

Jump to solution
lisa-karakas
Community Member

Hi - I'm an English Professor at Berkeley College.  

I was wondering if there are any plans to incorporate captioning and screen-sharing capabilities in Canvas' Record Media feature. 

Doing so would increase accessibility because captions would be available.

I record weekly welcome videos and other course content for each of my Canvas courses and need to use outside programs such as Flip or Zoom in order to get captions and to be able to screen share.  

If Canvas could incorporate those features into its Record Media function, it would make life a lot easier for many of us, including the students, who are often required to record and upload videos that require screen-sharing.

Are there any plans to have these features included in future Canvas updates?

Thank you!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello @lisa-karakas ...

I can possibly help with part of your question.  The ability to add captions to Canvas' media recordings should already be available to you.  Check out this Guide to see if this will help:

How do I add captions to new or uploaded videos in... - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)

As for screen sharing, I'm not sure if there are any plans for Instructure to implement something like that into Canvas.  I know there are other third-party video conferencing tools that can do this (Zoom and Microsoft Teams come to mind), and those virtual meetings can be recorded and then uploaded to Canvas...assuming that the file size meets the requirements outlined in the light-blue box at the top of this Guide:

How do I upload and embed a media file from my com... - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)

I hope this will be of some help to you.  Let Community members know if you have any other questions about this...thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Likes