Canvas Confusing Points with Scale Numeral - Standards-Based Grading Scale

TrishaMeyer1
Community Contributor

I was working with a teacher who was having trouble with the grades for an assignment. She wanted to post the grades on the 4-3-2-1-0 scale and had set a Grading Scheme accordingly. The assignment was worth 12 points, and she wanted to enter the points earned in the Speedgrader.

Everything was fine for students earning between 5 and 12 points. But for a student who had earned 4 points, Canvas was displaying a grade of "4" instead of the correct grade of "0" (4 out of 12 is 33% which is a zero). The calculation of the grade in the course would also be affected; a full score of "4" is very different from "4 out of 12."

The system didn't have any way to distinguish between 4 points and a 4 score. I can understand why this happened, but is there a way to signal that the number entered is in points and not grade scale? I'm thinking something similar to how I can type an apostrophe in front of my entry in Excel so that it displays as "4/12" and does not calculate the quotient and display "3" in the cell.

We were able to create a workaround by setting the Grading Scheme using words, so that "Four" "Three" "Two" "One" "Zero" display instead of the numerals, so there is no confusion to the system between a "4" and a "4" as entered. (See? How would it know the difference?)

While this works for now, it is less than ideal. Am I missing something? Is there a better solution?

Labels (2)
0 Likes