Can we please have the opportunity to disable our personal inbox? It is adding another inbox for me to check.

holmesm1
Community Explorer

We are forced to use Canvas for our classes by our district. there are many aspects I love. The inbox is not one of those things because it gives me a second inbox to check. |

"Why don't you just forward your messages to your email address? You can just respond from there."
I do this. However, if there is any sort of formatting or picture in my signature/email, I get an error "undeliverable" message. 

"You can simply take those things out of your email. Easy peasy!" I have removed these things. However, I need to send formatted text. I teach biology and we often use scientific nomenclature, which requires italics to denote a species or genus.

"Just have your students not use inbox and tell them to email you in the syllabus. that should solve things." Students do not read the syllabus and if they do, by the time they need to send me a message, they have forgotten because every professor has different rules. 

"Your institution can disable this feature! Speak with your Canvas administrator" Two problems here. First, many professors use the inbox and are OK with it. Second, I asked the folks at Canvas who my administrator is. "We are not legally allowed to tell you that." 

Give us the ability to disable our inbox on a course-by-course basis. Students need to learn that they can email and I will have those messages even if I leave an institution.

Labels (1)
0 Likes