Bug report: Group Set by number of students

Jump to solution
afeld-cu
Community Member

I believe I hit a bug, which I'm able to reproduce. My course has three sections of ~22 students each.

1. Create a Group Set
  2. For Group Structure, select "Split number of students per group"
  3. Check "Require group members to be in the same section"
  4. The wrong number of groups are created, with the wrong number of students

Something seems to be wrong with that combination of options. Works without the "Require group members to be in the same section", or by setting to "Split students by number of groups".

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution
NicoletteStaley
Community Team
Community Team

Hello @afeld-cu !

I am sorry to hear that you have been having issues with creating groups in Canvas that are provisioned automatically based on the sections in the course.  Most likely this is a result of students being enrolled in more than one section of the course.  For example if all the students are enrolled in Section A of the course, and additional sections are created in the course to split the students up (say Section B and Section C), then each student would have more than one section enrollment, and Canvas would not know how to prioritize what sections the students should be in when splitting them up by section. If Student 1 is enrolled in Section A and Section B and Student B is enrolled in Section A and Section C, Canvas would be correct to place them in the same group because they are both enrolled in the same section: Section A; even if they are enrolled in different sections as well (B and C). 

If this is not the case in your course (overlapping sections), then you may want to contact Canvas Support to allow them to thoroughly investigate the problem you are experiencing.

View solution in original post