OBLD 641 Module 1.3

sealbez
Community Member

Reflections on Great Leadership: Inspiration vs. Toxicity

After watching Dr. Richard Boyatzis' video on what makes a great leader, I was prompted to reflect on my own experiences. The exercise encouraged me to think about leaders who brought out the best in me and those who brought out the worst in me, and it gave me valuable insights into the real impact leadership can have on an individual's mindset, performance, and overall experience.

Positive Leadership

From my experience, the best leaders I've worked with all have something in common: they inspire and empower. These leaders have this natural ability to connect with their audience, whether in a meeting or on a larger organizational scale. Their energy is positive, and it's catchy. They know how to lift people up by recognizing potential and creating an environment that supports growth, creativity, and collaboration. Under their guidance, I always felt motivated to push my limits, take on challenges, and strive for success—not because I was afraid of failure, but because I felt supported.

These leaders aren't just effective in the traditional sense; they are emotionally intelligent and deeply attuned to their teams' needs and moods. When challenges arise, they face them head-on with optimism and solutions, not excuses or blame. This fosters a sense of unity and trust, making it easier for everyone involved to work toward common goals with enthusiasm.

Toxic Leadership

On the flip side, I've dealt with bosses who had the opposite effect on me. These leaders were always looking to point fingers and quick to make excuses instead of finding solutions. Their negativity created a toxic environment that killed creativity, sucked the energy out of the team, and made even the simplest tasks feel like climbing a mountain. Working under such leadership made it impossible to feel motivated or engaged. Instead, you could only focus on getting through the day without becoming a target of blame or criticism.

There was a clear lack of trust in these places, and the leader's negativity stopped any chance for personal or professional growth. Teams in such toxic settings don't function as a unit; they become divided, with everyone focused on protecting themselves rather than working together. It's the kind of atmosphere where making mistakes is terrifying, and as a result, learning and progress comes to a standstill.

The Impact

Looking back on these experiences through Dr. Boyatzis' perspective has only strengthened my belief that leadership is not so much about hierarchy but more about emotional connections. Leaders who genuinely care about the well-being and success of their team members and who approach their role with positivity and openness inspire others to achieve more than they thought possible. On the flip side, leaders who rely on fear, blame, and negativity create environments that bring out the worst in people and hinder progress.

In the end, being a great leader isn't just about hitting goals or keeping things in line; it's about building a culture where people feel appreciated, respected, and empowered. This kind of leadership makes a difference for both individuals and the organization's success.