[SIS] Use CSV to remove learner from section

Problem statement:

Using CSV and the SIS import, you can easily enrol a learner in a Section. However, if the learner was in a differnt section already, they are not removed from the first section, but are added to the new one. Then the user is in TWO sections. Fine if that is what you want, but more often it is not. The problem is that CSV/SIS should have an ability to remove a user from a section. This is TEDIOUS to do manually, especially after already using SIS import to get the user in the new section. I have to go to each course manually to remove them from the section they were in previously.

Proposed solution:

Allow for CSV and SIS to remove a learner from a Section. (Another possible faster-but-still-slow way to do this would be to be able to do this from the User Details page. Managing enrolments for one user in ONE place would be an exponentially beneficial feature.)

User role(s):

admin

1 Comment
jpoulos
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Will Not Consider

Thanks for the submission!

I believe what you are asking for is possible by being more explicit in your SIS imports. There is a status field that can be set to "deleted" on the enrollments.csv file. You'd have an entry for the original section in the section_id field, then a second row with the new section_id and "active" status. for existing enrollments in sections that have been "duplicated" in error, you can update the enrollment status in the SIS import to "deleted" for these retro-actively, as well.

Given this, I have changed the status to "Will Not Consider" as I believe there is already a solution in place. Please do add more clarity on why the solution I am proposing will not work, and we can reconsider.