[Rubrics] Warning When Editing a Rubric and Moving Away from the Rubric

Problem statement:

When an instructor is creating a Rubric and clicks off that rubric to edit the actual assignment, all the work that they did to that rubric disappears. For instance, if you have an instructor that has already created their assignment, then they click +Rubric at the bottom of the page to add the rubric, they then get this new pop-up window to create their rubric. While editing/creating that rubric, they like the wording that they have in the rubric and decide to mirror that new wording in their assignment. When they click the assignment the new rubric disappears and they have to start all over again, there is no warning that the work they just did is not going to be saved.

Proposed solution:

We are hoping that when you click away from the rubric, Canvas gives you a warning to save that rubric. That way, the rubric you were working on would get the change to be saved, versus it just disappearing. Just like when you are editing a page, it gives you a warning when you move away from that page.

User role(s):

admin,instructor,designer

Added to Theme

Improved rubric creation and usability Theme Status: In Development

5 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Seeking Clarity

Hi @bfryman -

Thank you for sharing this idea! I found a related idea that may solve the same problem, but I wanted to check with you before merging the threads. I know you mentioned a warning, but if the rubric items were automatically saved, the content would be preserved, still solving the problem of navigating away from the rubric being created and losing text/settings that were already entered.

[Rubrics] Assignment Rubric auto-save 

bfryman
Community Explorer
Author

I think I personally would rather have the warning. If it just automatically saves, I feel like instructors might not know that it saved and then start a new one vs a warning in which you would be prompted to press save and know that it saved.  I would be ok with the automatic save if a pop-up window were to come up and say that the rubric has been saved. 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

SamGarza1
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Added to Theme

TerriWiley
Community Explorer
Problem statement:

If a teacher/grader does not save typed comments and scores on a rubric before moving on to the next student, the notes/scores do not save.

Proposed solution:

Could a popup or error message be added to alert a teacher that their work has not been saved in a similar function to when a "comment is not posted"? The comments do not save automatically on a rubric.

User role(s):

instructor