[Rubrics] Create a student-accessible rubric for self-assessments

Our nursing and OTA staff are using self-assessments to help students evaluate their confidence in the skills they are learning for certification. The idea is that they can take this assessment and choose if they want to share it, see what things they need to brush up on and reflect on their experiences. Currently they are doing this on paper but as we go to more online course work, they would like to integrate this as an online activity within a course.

The peer review rubric as it is set up now would work, but we also like the model of the tests you take on social media that tell you that you're 90% geek!

Added to Theme

139 Comments
mitchelljorgens
Community Explorer

@bell7368 

If you need an INSTRUCTOR graded/evaluated rubric that is reusable Canvas is really good at that.  This is referring to a SELF-ASSESSMENT where students evaluate their own work based on a rubric and then Canvas records that grade.  The workaround is to use New Quizzes and create a quiz with partial credit for different answers so students select their performance level for each question and get different points for each performance level.  

bell7368
Community Member

@mitchelljorgens 

Yup, what I am wanting to replicate is a clickable rubric for student self-assessment. Very unfortunate this is not a feature. Right now this is the format in Tk20, but we are transitioning to AEFIS and we are either going to have to have students complete this in another format or use the work around you've described. Probably no less of a headache for students but a headache for me 🙂

wild0017
Community Participant

With 112 comments in favor of a student-clickable rubric, the Canvas Community is speaking . . .  is Instructure listening? 

This is a need so many have for assessment and compliance. Canvas really has an opportunity here to retain customers so they don't have to rely on external products.  

eoverton70
Community Participant

This discussion was from 2016. Has this feature been created? My students need to evaluate themselves with their conducting videos.

HALLIEKOENIG
Community Member

Please make this happen. Why isn't this a thing yet?

mitchelljorgens
Community Explorer

The workaround is to use New Quizzes and create a quiz with partial credit for different answers so students select their performance level for each question and get different points for each performance level.  It works pretty well.  But send this along to friends and get them to upvote it so we can get this feature.

wilson_campbell
Community Explorer

For students to practice examination papers and self mark this feature is really needed.

This should be a simple change to canvas where peer assessment can be automatically linked/allocated to the submitting student.

margaux_devos
Community Explorer

This feature would really help us to give students more ownership of their evaluation. We would use the self assessment rubric as part of a reflection exercise on an assignment.

vdumova
Community Participant

+1 It would be great if Canvas could implement this feature. 

ValerieBurgoyne
Community Member

This would be a very valuable feature for essay writing (among other assignments). I see it functioning similar to Peer Review as a built-in part of the assignment. Students can use the same rubric I will use to grade them to review their work. Perhaps a check box to require them to do the self-review before they can see their grade would be helpful, too.