[Gradebook] view for download that includes assignment category

Problem statement:

Background: My courses are skills mastery based, so students have more than enough opportunities via low stakes quizzes to demonstrate their mastery of each skill. In order to help students keep track of their skills mastery, each skill has its own assignment group, worth 2% of the final grade in the class. Because Canvas does not allow me to automatically calculate grades like I want (earned points up to a set cap / set cap), I need to download the gradebook information and manually calculate skills grades by adding up raw points and dividing them by the set cap for each skill.

Problem: Knowing which assignment belongs to which assignment group is vital, but when I download the full gradebook, that information is not included (although it is possible to filter based on assignment group, so that information clearly is accessible to the gradebook). I have to add that information to my spreadsheet by hand, or download the filtered gradebook separately for each skill / assignment group, both of which are not a good use of time.

Proposed solution:

I propose that a gradebook download option be available that would contain a row with assignment group information. This would greatly speed up the grade calculations that I have to do outside of Canvas by allowing me to filter and sort by the group that each assignment belongs to.

Student | Assignment 1 | Quiz 1 | Assignment 2 | In-class activity 1 | ass't group A | ass't group B | ass't group B | ass't group A

User role(s):

instructor

1 Comment
EliseBell
Community Explorer
Author

Apologies, my attempt at a table did not come through in my original post. This is what I imagine the downloaded gradebook csv could look like, with just one more row for assignment group.

Student Assignment 1 Quiz 1 Assignment 2 In-class activity 1
  assignment group A assignment group B assignment group B assignment group A
Lastname, Firstname 5 10 14 3