[Discussions] Fix Updated Discussions!

Problem statement:

I find the new discussion format very difficult to use because of the way replies are sorted and marked as read/unread. Since posts are marked unread if someone replies to them, I find it difficult to keep track of what I've actually read, which makes grading more cumbersome and time-consuming. Since posts are ordered by the time a reply is made to another post rather than time of submission of the original post in a thread, the order of posts in the discussion changes every time I go into the discussion, which makes it hard to follow. Also, posts I haven't read sometimes get marked read, and posts I have read get marked unread even when no one has replied to them. Another problem is that the smaller font in the replies is hard to read and the lack of a clear marker for when a reply is indented under the post it's replying to makes it hard to see what post is replying to what.

Proposed solution:

I would like there to be an option to sort discussions by time of submission of the original post in a thread rather than time of submission of replies to the original post, and to have the option to sort oldest first "sick," so that discussions don't automatically default to newest first. I'd like the option of increasing the font size in replies. To make it clear what post each reply is responding to, it would be helpful for all replies to "at" the person they're replying to. Fix whatever bug is making posts seemingly randomly marked read or unread regardless of whether or not I've actually read them and whether or not someone has replied. One way to fix most of these problems would be to provide the option of going back to the old discussion format!

User role(s):

instructor

1 Comment
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Will Not Consider

Thank you for taking the time to share this feedback as an Idea in the Community!

For consistency, the Community Team asks all comments, questions, and requests related to the Discussions Redesign to be directed to the Discussions/Announcements Redesign Group. Other early adopters share their experiences, and Instructure Product Managers actively monitor that space. I hope you can connect and collaborate with others in that User Group.

This thread has been moved to our Will Not Consider status to streamline our Ideas space and prevent duplicate conversations.