[Credentials/Badges] Default issuer is "Badgr" when sharing a badge to a LinkedIn profile

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas Credentials

Problem statement:

When sharing a badge to LinkedIn, a learner needs to select the Issuing Organization. If they fail to do so, the default selection is "Badgr." It is a manual step that has high likelihood of being missed, resulting in inaccurate information displaying on the learner's timeline and profile, as well as missed marketing opportunities for the issuing organization.

Proposed solution:

The default selection for Issuing Organization should be text entry field an owner or editor of an issuer can populate as appropriate. This would allow different badging initiatives to connect to an issuer public page, a LinkedIn company page, or a website, as they deem appropriate. That way, there will be no confusion about the validity and origin of a badge shared by a learner.

User role(s):

admin,instructor,student,ta,designer,observer

7 Comments
JasminHedvat
Community Member

Hello! I agree with this idea and believe it would enhance the Badgr experience for my organization and badge earners. To make the user experience as smooth as possible, I would prefer the issuing organization to be correct automatically instead of instructing earners how to change it. From an organization standpoint, it is a missed opportunity for us not to be listed as the issuing organization if an earner does not make the change. Please complete this change to enhance the product! 

BrentCapriotti
Community Member

+1 JasminHedvat 🙂

I agree that the default functionality should be deriving the Org&Issuer data from the badge data itself and pre-populating the Issuing Organization field vs it defaulting to "Badgr" or requiring text-entry from the recipient of the credential. It's all there in the badge data, so leveraging that will result in a more consistent and credible presentation of that earned credential and also take any burden off the recipient in terms of entering that data themselves.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

mnlamberson
Community Participant

I agree as well, in other platforms, this default behaviour is already in place. For example, I have a Credly badge that I shared on LInkedIn and the issuing organization was picked up automatically. For Badgr Pro users, it would be nice if this picked up the organization (i.e., the institution).

JennaFedewa
Community Explorer

We have been asking about this since April as we have several students who have gotten creative in how they are attaching their badges to websites like LinkedIn to get our institutions branding. The processes they are using are disconnecting the badge making it unverifiable. 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed
Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Badges/Credentials Release Notes (2023-07-03)