[Course Settings] Autofill course start and end date, when participation is switched from "term" to "course"

Problem statement:

Our Canvas courses participation settings are currently set to "term". If an instructor wants to start their course earlier than the default term dates, the instructor must change the participation period from "term" to "course". When the participation period switches from "term" to "course", the start/end dates are both removed. What we commonly see is that the instructor would only set a start date and save; this results in the course not having an end date.

Proposed solution:

When an instructor changes the participation period from "term" to "course", we would like Canvas to set the default start and end date to the term start and end date that it was previously displaying greyed out. The instructor could then change the course start date while maintaining the original term end date.

User role(s):

admin,instructor,designer

3 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Seeking Clarity

Hi @ericlee-  -

Thanks for sharing your idea! I wonder if [Courses] If empty course end date, then automatically use term end date would allow you to do the same thing you described in your proposal. If so, I can merge this thread into the existing one. If not, how do they differ? 

I look forward to hearing from you!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @ericlee- -

I hope you are doing well! If you are unable to provide an update regarding this idea by May 2, we will need to archive it to help the Community Team focus on current Ideas. If you need more time, that's okay too! Providing an update before that time would be helpful and appreciated. 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Will Not Consider