[Assignments] Assignment Statistics (Specifically Word Count)

Problem statement:

Just as teachers are able to view Quiz statistics, it would be nice to be able to generate Assignment Statistics, especially for text-based assignment submissions. Specifically, I have a teacher wanting to view and export word count data for all essays submitted to one assignment. She would like to be able to view/export a table of assignment statistics showing each student's name and their essay's word count.

Proposed solution:

On the Assignment page, have a button for Assignment Statistics (similar to the Quiz Statistics button available on a Quiz's page). To make the feature worthwhile, submission time and score could be included in the report. . . but the main concern is to make accessible to instructors a table containing assignment data that isn't currently accessible in one place (such as word count).

User role(s):

instructor

Added to Theme

6 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

DimitriDF
Community Member

I agree that having an statistics feature that provides a word count would be good for assignments with text entries or with word processor file upload submissions.

Another-MrC
Community Member

There are frequently times I will say your response should be 5-10 sentences. Or every once in a while, "make a tweet; use 140 characters or less". Having character, word, and sentence statistics would be very useful. 

MQADRI
Community Member

I would take this one step further if the assignment is graded via a rubric to include the numeric summary of rubric. Looking on the help site, there are numerous requests for that as well.

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/Rubric-Statistics/idi-p/469035

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/Export-aggregate-rubric-scores-to-identify-str...

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme