[Accessibility] Default Field Selection on pop-up windows

Problem statement:

When new 'pop' up windows are displayed the 'X' for close is the default action when you press enter, thereby closing the page instead of adding the desired record or action. Example: course --> People --> + People --> fill in a screen --> Select 'Next' button to take an action there is a popup window confirming 'Add People' and the default selection when you press enter is 'X' it should be 'Add users' like all normal windows programs. A confirmation window is great, but since the user has already selected 'next' to perform an action the next default should be a continue function not a block the addition AND lose all of your previously entered data.

Proposed solution:

Change the screen 'tab' order default to start at 'Add Users' not the 'X' to close the window.

User role(s):

admin,instructor

8 Comments
GregoryJoiner
Community Explorer
Author

Make this default not 'X'Make this default not 'X'

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Initial Stage: We're reviewing the new conversation

Hi @GregoryJoiner -

Thank you for your patience! I wanted to talk with our Product Team before responding. After collaborating with one of our accessibility engineers, I learned some things I wanted to share with you!

This screen is designed for accessibility reasons.  When a new modal loads, the focus is placed at the top of the modal so that screen reader users do not miss out on any details of the modal.  If the focus is placed on the add users button by default, screen reader users might not know that there is additional info there.  Also, this is done to follow the standard visual flow of the page for cognitive reasons.  we follow top/down, left/right flow.  If the focus was placed on the add users button and then the close x, the focus would go bottom/top which can be jarring to some users.

I know that's a lot of extra detail, but it may help! We can definitely open the conversation up for discussion, but having some context about the design may be helpful too. I'm looking forward to hearing from you!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Moderating

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @GregoryJoiner - I'm checking back on this idea!

If you are unable to provide an update regarding this idea by November 1, 2022, we will need to archive it to help the Community Team focus on current Ideas. If you need more time, that's okay too! Providing an update before that time would be helpful and appreciated. 

GregoryJoiner
Community Explorer
Author

Thank you for responding, this makes sense if ALL of the other screens in Canvas also start on the 'X'.

This is a new way of web page and app development, it used to be the default 'enter' action was always the most commonly used to save users time, but that was way before accessibility was even considered. (I am an old fossil)

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

GregoryJoiner
Community Explorer
Author

This was informative and something new to me as a developer. Big Kudo's to Canvas for taking such a great action for those that need assistive technologies.

You may close and archive the suggestion.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme