Canvas API

Jump to solution
ZakharPyrohiv
Community Novice

Have the ability to get conversations from students by API if I am administrator?

I read documentation https://canvas.instructure.com/doc/api/conversations.html and have not found how I can do that. I thought that there could be a parameter user_id but there is not.

We need to show warning to students if they receive a new message in conversation in the app.

Thanks for help.

0 Likes
1 Solution
audra_agnelly
Community Champion

As an admin there isn't a api to get user's conversations. The API to get conversations can only be requested by the user and it will return their conversations. As an admin I have to masquerade as users to view conversations, there are many instances of bullying and inappropriate use of the inbox where I need to do this. Regarding your question about showing a warning to student about new messages, Canvas already has several features to alert users of new messages. It shows a blue alert (count) in the UI on the the Inbox icon that shows there are new/unread messages. Users can also configure their Canvas notifications to send new Inbox messages to their email (I'm pretty sure that setting is defaulted on to the "right away" frequency).

View solution in original post