Canvas x Universal Design for Learning (UDL)

constance_khoo
Instructure
Instructure

Imagine this

...you walk into a clothes store and there is only one type of top and pants being sold. They are all the same size, colour, and material. Firstly, you can’t fit into the clothes, secondly, you don’t like the style and wouldn’t feel comfortable in it. 

Some friends walk into the same store, and they can fit into the clothes. However, your friend with a physical disability comes in, looks around, and has a disappointed yet unsurprised expression. Others who also cannot fit into the clothes, ask the shop attendant for other options, only to be given responses such as:

“These are the measurements our manufacturer gave us, so this is all we have…. but if you want to try and tailor them to fit you, we can give you scissors and a needle.”

“We have a premium service where we send them to an alteration shop! But that costs extra.”

We would never accept a store selling only one size of clothing and disregarding and overcharging those who cannot fit them. So, why do we often accept and expect education to be delivered in a one-size-fits-all manner?

constance_khoo_1-1636677956685.png

Source from Hans Traxler (1929)

In the spirit of International Day of Disabled Persons on the 3rd December 2021, I want to share some tangible ways that Canvas can help you create accessible resources through a Universal Design for Learning (UDL) lens.

Firstly, what exactly is UDL?

UDL is an educational framework based on research in the learning sciences that guides the development of flexible learning environments that can accommodate individual learning differences. Recognising that the way individuals learn can be unique, the UDL framework, first defined by the Center for Applied Special Technology (CAST) in the 1990s, calls for creating curriculum from the outset that provides:

1. Multiple means of representation to give learners various ways of acquiring information and knowledge,
  2.  Multiple means of action and expression to provide learners alternatives for demonstrating what they know,
  3.  Multiple means of engagement to tap into learners' interests, challenge them appropriately, and motivate them to learn.

(Source: https://mtsac.libguides.com/udl)

So, here are some of my favourite examples of Canvas tools and features that can support those 3 UDL principles:

Representation 

• Ensure Microsoft Immersive Reader feature is turned on as it can present information for students with sensory disabilities, (eg. blindness or deafness); learning disabilities (eg. dyslexia); language differences(eg. ESL), and simply different learning styles and preferences (eg. VARK)
    • Microsoft Immersive Reader is now available on Canvas Assignments and Homepages too. Find out more here
  • Use Rich Content Editor on a Canvas page to display multiple modes of information delivery such as video with captions.
  • Make it easy for your students to contact you in various ways with Canvas Inbox, Canvas Chat, Calendar Appointment Group.

Action and expression

• Give students choice in how to submit their assignment, by choosing multiple “Online Submission” in a Canvas Assignment. This gives students multiple means of demonstrating their understanding. For example, they could upload a slide deck, take a picture of a poster, record themselves giving a presentation or explanation of how they came to a conclusion, thus displaying their metacognition skils.
  • Assignment Enhancement feature allows students to clearly see the different assessment submission options
  • Use “No Submission” for assignments that require kinesthetic expressions. This allows assessors to still provide meaningful documented feedback via Speedgrader.
  • New Quizzes have a variety of ways for students to show their understanding. The Analytics and Time log also allows teachers/ course designers to see what types of questions students spent the most time on or got incorrect

Engagement 

• Use Discussions before each topic to get students to reflect on what they are hoping to achieve from the topic, and how it can be applicable in their life. This contextualisation exercise will engage them to remember their “why” and applicability of their studies.
  • Use Mastery Paths to give them students a choice of what relevant work to complete in a module
  • Customise your Homepage with relevant buttons, media, and contact information so a student's first impression of your course is a positive and engaging one. 

You can find more examples of Canvas tools that align with UDL principles, from the Course Evaluation Checklist. You can also chat with your CSM if you have questions, or request a hands-on training session with a Learning Consultant to learn how to use these tools in your own Courses.

Resources

8 Comments
phillip_mills
Community Participant

Thanks for this timely reminder on UDL @constance_khoo .

FYI we found a few issues with Microsoft Immersive reader that users might want to be aware of before enabling if for use.

The main issue is that it doesn't work well (or sometimes at all) with certain types of content.

It doesn't render mathematical notation added using the Canvas Math Editor, not does it work well with some embedded content.

If you need either of these it's worth considering an alternative like Read&Write from texthelp, which has many similar features and works better with mathematical notation etc.

Hope this helps!

robertsbell
Community Novice

@phillip_mills  Happy Wheels Unblocked
It seems no platform can work with all content. I usually mix from the multi-platform, which gives me a great product.

szw151
Community Participant

I am an advocate for UDL so I appreciate this post. Canvas does provide some good options.

Many of our students require read-aloud with highlighting for reading text as part of an official accommodation and many others just prefer it. At our institution, not all of our course content is in Canvas - many combine Canvas with other content management systems, so we created a resource that explains various ways to get the read-aloud functionality (Immersive Reader, Read Aloud plug-in, browser-specific functions, etc.). regardless of platform. If you are interested, check out our Read Aloud Options page.

phillip_mills
Community Participant

I agree @robertsbell - it's just a matter of knowing what breaks or becomes hard to use when assistive technologies are used. I find that most embedded tools struggle to work well, which is unfortunate

ANDREWJONES208
Community Participant

Thanks for this robust post. I am curious if anyone has been able to incorporate English Language Learner tools into Canvas for student submissions. I am working with High School students are new to the USA and are learning English. I have been able to use Google Translate for assignments, but I am wondering if Canvas has a translator embedded for student submissions. Any tips from anyone?

Thanks,

Andrew Jones

Wanda-Wagner
Community Member

@constance_khoo Thank you - your post is as timely today as it was in 2021.  I am relatively new to Canvas and UDL.  I had no idea Microsoft Immersive Reader was available within Canvas, and it was so easy to find instructions to enable it. The Canvas community has been my go to tool for learning Canvas. The learners in my Canvas instance are adult learners that attend workplace compliance seminars. I am using quizzes to check learning and keep the course length within the 2-hour time limit. For learner choice and voice, do you have suggestions on Canvas choice options to the quizzes and not extend the course time limit? 

Thank you, Wanda  

ANDREWJONES208
Community Participant

Hi Wanda,

I don't know if you using the "New" Quizzes or Classic, but either way you can allow a student to upload a file demonstrating their learning. You can have students submit audio files, or written work, or upload a chart or other document. This is a helpful way for students to submit podcasts from Anchor, or infographics from PiktoChart or Canva. It really does provide latitude. Additionally, another way to capture student learning is through the Canvas Discussion Board. Here is a helpful link on how to structure an online discussion as well as a screen shot of the options on New Quizzes. Again choosing the file upload option will open many doors for student voice and choice. As with anything, a helpfully structured rubric will clarify expectations with your students.

🙂 Andrew

Screenshot 2023-01-19 at 9.20.02 AM.png

Wanda-Wagner
Community Member

Thank you, Andrew,

I will look into "New" quizzes tonight. I believe our default setting is Classic quizzes, but I can investigate and change the setting. The variety of choices for submission is exactly what I was looking to achieve. 

Your linked resource, Facilitating Your Online Discussions, is rich. Thank you for using Creative Commons.  

Kindest, Wanda