quiz responses

Jump to solution
BethanyStevenso
Community Member

Why are some student responses in open ended questions in quizzes bolded? 98% are regular font as opposed to bold. Does that mean they copied and pasted from somewhere?

0 Likes
1 Solution
chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @BethanyStevenso,

This is going to be a tough one to answer in general terms.  Realistically, without you actually asking the student, it's going to be impossible to have an accurate answer to this.

Could they be copy/pasting an answer?  I'd say yes, but if that were the sole cause, that would likely mean wherever they were copying from was all bold text, and that would be unusual for most websites.

My suspicion is that perhaps those students have adjusted their default system font settings, which can affect the Canvas rich text editor (textbox) as well.  Students may do this to have easier to read text for themselves on the screen in some cases, although I would think it would be rather rare.  If the issue is with the same student(s) for each assignment, I'd lean ever more in this direction.

There are probably some other potential causes that I'm not thinking about at the moment.  I guess overall I would caution against looking at this as an academic integrity issue first without having some conversations with the students involved.

Hope this helps a bit!

-Chris

View solution in original post