Observer somehow deleted module by sending it to himself?

Jump to solution
GraceStephens23
Community Explorer

I have shared a Canvas Blueprint with some instructors before it is officially pushed in the "Observing" role. My understanding is that Observing role is a view-only mode! I did not want them to be able to edit anything.

Today, I noticed some of my modules had completely disappeared from my Blueprint. I did a little digging and I think it was a faculty member sending the modules to his Sandbox, but instead of copying, he accidentally sent it over. 

I was able to preserve the data by using the /undelete function, but I'm very worried if faculty in Observing mode have access to send a Module and delete it from the Blueprint??? What am I missing here and how to I make it so that their access is a TRUE view-only mode? 

0 Likes
2 Solutions
RecycledElectro
Community Coach
Community Coach

I'm trying to understand.

You're an administrator using a Blueprint Canvas Course to share content to your instructors.

You are listed in Canvas as an instructor in the Blueprint course, and your teachers are listed as observers.

And you think one of your teachers moved content from your blueprint course instead of copying it.

Is that correct, or am I wrong?

Are your teachers listed in the blueprint course as instructors or as students? The canvas designation (under "People") for whether a user is an instructor or a student should not always be linked to their role at the school. If you list your teachers as instructors in your Blueprint course, they can add, edit, move, and delete content. They can assign grades. In the Blueprint courses and in any professional development courses, you should list your instructors as students. That way they can not give themselves all 100s and delete all your content 🐵

View solution in original post

0 Likes

The 'Student' role was not available to me in the drop down (neither was observer or any non-editing role) - I think due to institution level config. I was able to create a workaround by creating a new user type. But thank you for your response!

View solution in original post

0 Likes