CANVAS time stamps

CristanR
Community Novice

I am desperately trying to find an answer regarding the time stamp indicators in CANVAS. I know I can go to people and see my roster and the activity time they spend on CANVAS for the day.
I also can see each student's time in the view progress and activity log time when I moderate my course assignment, module, or quiz.
I can't interpret the time stamps because it is much different in an essay quiz than a multiple choice quiz. I need to know how to interpret these time stamps under an essay quiz assignment for an essay question.
Under a multiple choice quiz, the activity log shows each minute and second a student took to answer each question, including when they veered off. However, when I view the progress or student activity log and click on each arrow of a student essay quiz, it shows a time stamp of 00:30 near, after, or within the first paragraph. Then there's no time stamp until after two more paragraphs, which shows a time stamp of 32:10. There is no time stamp near the student's typed entry either, but at the end, it will say total activity was 45:23. How do I interpret each time stamp? Should there be a time set for each word or sentence?

Additionally, in an essay quiz question, how can you see or determine if a student veered off of  CANVAS to another site? 

Also, if a student types on an essay quiz and then doesn't submit the quiz before the scheduled time is up, is the student automatically logged out? I know when the time was up, they no longer had access. I have students who show they were in progress for 181 hours even though there was a set time frame to access and work on the essay quiz.

When a student does or doesn't submit before the scheduled time is up, and the teacher has to build and moderate or vice versa to re-open the student's quiz to provide them access, is the time stamp accumulative because it's the same quiz or does the time stamp start over for the new testing session? For example, I have a student who logged in and started the essay quiz on September 8th but logged back in on September 10th to edit or finish. How are those time stamps interpreted? Are they different for each session, or does it all go together? 

I have a student being questioned because their essay states in its MLA heading that it was written on September 8th. Still, due to absences, they didn't log back in until September 10th to finish and edit it in a moderated testing session. Can a teacher see the progress of the student's entire activity from the first start time throughout other moderated testing sessions?