change user details including email addresses

Jump to solution
sukiekeita
Community Member

First, I want to confirm that our organization is using the free version of Canvas. Some questions have been answered in this forum as if people have the paid institutional version. We do all the enrollment in our courses.

Sometimes people want to change their email addresses. Let's say that I go into a published course and navigate to the People tab. I see most people's email addresses right next to their names. This was the case with one student who wanted to change her email address.

I chose "add user" and attempted to use her name and email address. Upon completing this action, a long chain of numbers came up in place of her name. On her end, she said, "I have attempted to accept the invitation using my login and it keeps telling me the username needs to be changed to vershawndawynel@gmail.com. For some reason, this was set up with my username being a set of numbers. When I try to transfer the enrollment to my email username it keeps giving me an error message." 

I realized there were two accounts for this student in the course, so I wondered whether Canvas generated a new number instead of using her name. I deactivated the profile that she just created and I added her again as a user using the new email address. then asked her to check her email for a new invitation. She wrote back asking if an invitation would be coming. I went back to look and now her name shows up correctly, but no email appears and the status is "pending." 

Can someone assist? Alternatively, is there a phone number I can call?

Labels (4)
0 Likes
1 Solution
KevinMeredith
Instructure
Instructure

Hi, I can help you. If you send (through private messenger) the students who need help, I can easily make these adjustments. Go to your profile --> settings --> preferences --> private messenger to enable.

What you're looking for is an administrator privilege, and unfortunately cannot be executed as a teacher. 

thanks. 

View solution in original post