"participation" settings

Jump to solution
KarlijnvanA
Community Participant

As Admin I can set `participation´ in the root account. Picture below is in Dutch, sorry about that, but I hope you will be able to figure out my question 🙂

participation.jpg

Please imagine with me. The participation is set to start on august first 2024 en to end on july 31th of 2025. As a student I can only hand in assigments, participate in the course, in between those dates. For a teacher it's the same: I can't  review assignments after july 31.

1. What if I set the "teacher can participate" ending at september first 2025? Does this mean that Canvas allows them another month to grade assignments?

2. What if I set the 'Students can participate" ending at august 15th? Will students be allowed to hand in assignments until aug 15th? And does this mean the course will remove itself from their dashboard, but will still be available trough past courses? 

If any additional information is needed, please let me know and I'll update the question asap 🙂

Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Solutions
JamesSekcienski
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello @KarlijnvanA

If the course settings have the "Participation" set to "Term", then the dates you set in here will control the access for users to participate in the course.  My answers to your questions will assume that your courses are set to use "Term" as the "Participation".

• For question 1, yes if you set a later end date for the Teacher, then teachers will have longer to access and grade assignments.  We use this feature for our courses to give teachers more time for this exact reason.
  • For question 2, yes students would be able to hand in assignments until August 15th.  The exact time would depend on what you set so be aware that you may want to set the time to 11:59 PM if you want to allow until the end of day.  We also do see this course card get removed from student's dashboards after the end date.  However, they can still access the course through past courses since we don't restrict access to past courses.

It may be good to review How do term dates, course dates, and section dates work in Canvas? to learn more about the impact of the different settings for course participation and access.

View solution in original post

@KarlijnvanA 

If you set the student access to end on August 15th and the course participation setting is set to "Term", then the course card should remain on the Dashboard until August 15th.  After August 15th it would be considered a "Past Course" for the student and removed from the Dashboard.

View solution in original post