Managing Course Level Roles

Jump to solution
jlhummel
Community Explorer

Hi, I'm an account-level admin for Canvas at my institution and we are trying to figure out if there is a way to limit the options a Teacher course-level role has when adding users to their course. (See attached Image 1)

Teachers at our institution can add users to their courses through the people tab.  However, we have a number of custom course-level roles that we do not want to be available as an option for them.  For example, we don't want teachers to be able to add someone as a SynergisID or Helpdesk Analyst, but a Peer Mentor (further down the list than the image shows) would be okay.

In permissions, I see where I can allow or disallow the ability for Users - Designers, Users - Observers, Users- Students, Users - TA's, and Users - Teachers (See attached Image 2), but I don't see an option to remove the ability to assign any of the custom roles we've created.

0 Likes
1 Solution
mzimmerman
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @jlhummel 

For the permissions on what kind of role the user can add, Canvas only knows about the native "Base type" course roles.  When you created your custom course roles, you would have selected the "Base type" that the custom role was based on.  So, if the permission settings allow then to add "Users - TAs" (for instance), that permission also allows them to add any of the custom roles based on the TA role.

View solution in original post