Can "Stopped viewing the Canvas quiz-taking page" in the quiz log reveal cheating?

bjl11100
Community Member
Hi, 

I told my students that moving away from the quiz to other windows/tabs would be cheating. Can you help me interpret the quiz log to see if the evidence there establishes this was happening? (I know Canvas itself is not a lockdown browser, but I had so much trouble requiring Respondus...) 

It's a traditional Canvas quiz. For some students, there is no report that they "Stopped viewing..."; but for others, the log reports look like the attached images (showing what appears to be a pattern of navigating away from and back to a quiz surreptitiously). 

Viewed (and possibly read) a question [1] displays when a student is active on the quiz page, but has not answered the question.
Answered a question [2] displays when a student has answered the question. If questions are shown being answered multiple times, the student either changed their answer(s), or the answer was generated by the quiz autosave feature.
Stopped viewing the Canvas quiz-taking page [3] displays when a student navigates away from the quiz (closes the browser tab, opens a new browser tab, or navigates to a different program). According to a "Community Champion," "Not viewing the quiz-taking page can occur from being inactive within Canvas for more than 30 seconds (including navigating to another Canvas page), or clicking out of the quiz (such as on another browser tab or window) for more than 15 seconds.
Resumed [4] displays when the student has returned to the quiz.
It sounds to me like any log event reporting that a student "Stopped viewing" for between 15 and 30 seconds before another event clicked away from the quiz. 

Here are more of my considerations: According to the above-quoted "Community Champion," the words "Stopped viewing the Canvas quiz-taking page" come to appear in a log under these two conditions: 

1. The first condition is met when a student is inactive within Canvas for more than 30 seconds. (So a 30-second interval before those words would not prove cheating, as it might be that the student is thinking. Hence, I set aside as inconclusive the cases in which the logged interval is more than 30 seconds.)  
  2. The second condition is met when, after an interval of less than 30 seconds but more than 15, a student clicks out of the quiz.
I'm focusing on cases in which the second condition is met as potential cases of cheating. But are there any conditions in which there's a 16-30 second interval in which a student did not click away from the quiz? (If not, these conditions seem to establish cheating in my cases.) 

Thank you for the clarification! 
Brendan 
Labels (3)
0 Likes