Balancing Human Touch with AI in Education

DrNufer
Community Coach
Community Coach

This was obviously created by AIThis was obviously created by AIThe era of AI transforming our classrooms is far from quiet. As 2023 wraps up, I reflect on the tumult and fervor that have taken our institutions by surprise. I've been able to consult many institutions and present at several conferences about the ramifications of generative technology.  I have consoled people and groups of people, just as I have fanned the flames of passion as professors and administrators embrace and explore AI platforms.  I act as a cheerleader or a pragmatist depending on the context.  What we will see in this upcoming year and beyond is that the fervor around AI will begin to die down as naysayers discover the benefits and zealots are confounded with the vast limitations of the platforms.

What is certain is that these technologies are sweeping our classrooms across the globe and we will see a future where learning is more personalized, accessible, and efficient.  What is interesting is that while high-income nations will likely be the first to see AI becoming commonplace within their education systems, developing nations will likely not fall far behind.  This is something abnormal with adoption of new tech and it will be exciting not only to see the vast adoption of new tools, but also the shift in how education is delivered and experienced.  What will this mean for education globally as AI potentially bridges the gap between affluent and emerging economies?  No doubt it will still be a complex landscape to navigate with many challenges ahead, but we will also have a unique opportunity to revolutionize educational access and quality on a scale that was previously unimaginable.

With all this said, the pressing question I pose to panels, trustees, faculty, and anyone who will listen is how will we preserve and prioritize humanistic and contemplative approaches in teaching and learning - those elements of our classrooms that provide the grounded value to our craft.  This question truly isn't new to AI or generative tech, but I believe it's now more urgent than ever that we discuss how our teachers and students can be human in classes with so much tech.  In the coming months we may see an overhauled agenda focused on discussing developments of AI alongside the need for emotional intelligence and the creation of psychological safe spaces where teachers, admin, and students can explore the contexts and applications their subject matters in the midst of the expanding landscape of emerging gen tech.  

While AI brings remarkable capabilities to the table, the human element in education remains indispensable. Teachers offer empathy, moral guidance, and a deep understanding of student needs - all qualities that no algorithm can replicate. Research consistently highlights the critical role of teacher-student relationships in effective learning, and AI will never make the Community of Inquiry framework obsolete. These relationships foster a supportive environment that encourages students to engage, take risks, and develop a love for learning. As AI assumes more administrative and analytical roles, educators must emphasize these irreplaceable human interactions.

Another image generated by AIAnother image generated by AIIn reality, in this aspect I see AI as being a win for humanization in the classroom as we explore ways to automate mundane processes so that teachers can focus on teaching.  Let's leverage AI for tasks like data analysis and administrative duties.  In this way, integrating AI in to the classroom can enhance, not replace, the human elements.  It doesn't diminish the teacher's role but rather amplifies their ability to attend to individual students' needs and foster a supportive, engaging classroom environment. Let's focus on direct student interactions and personalized teaching.

I have reassured countless people during academic assemblies, board of trustee meetings, and conference sessions that AI will not replace us.  However, those who learn and use AI effectively will replace those who don't.  Educators must prepare for an AI-integrated future. This preparation involves understanding the capabilities and limitations of AI, as well as developing strategies to integrate these tools in a way that complements human teaching. Professional development and continuous learning are key, as educators need to stay informed about the latest technologies and best practices for their use in the classroom. 

For those like me who subscribe to the premium version of ChatGPT, it's amazing to see the speed of development and progress with the platform.  There was a time when it seemed like every couple of weeks there was a major jaw-dropping announcement (plugins, integrated Dall-e, customizable GPT's, etc.).  Even so, the limitations can be frustrating.  Yet, it's within these constraints that we find our greatest potential for growth. As we harness these tools while acknowledging their boundaries, we're reminded of the irreplaceable value of human insight and empathy. 

[Full disclosure, ChatGPT wrote that last sentence.  I wanted to see what kind of transition it would think of between that last thought and my next paragraph.  It's not great and I'm leaving it as is (copy/paste) to demonstrate how it AI can get us to the right neighborhood, but doesn't always drop us off at the right door. Now back to my words.]

All this new technology is exciting and even revolutionary, but it is critical that we remain fixated on always fostering the human touch in our classrooms.  Education is not defined by sages disseminating wisdom to pupils.  We have free public libraries and most of us have unlimited access to the internet.  Knowledge can be obtained for free without matriculation to an academic institution.  What we offer to students beyond information and knowledge about facts, processes, and theories is compassion, understanding, and connection.  These are the things that define our learning experiences, not essays, exams, and discussion boards.  If we are thoughtful about how we integrate AI into our educational practices, we can leverage the best of both worlds and create AI-enhanced classrooms that are as humane as they are innovative.

Here is a call to action: share your thoughts, concerns, and visions for how we can best balance the technological with the personal in education in the comments below. Let's shape a future that embraces the possibilities and potential of AI while preserving our fundamental human connections.

[post-script: I asked ChatGPT if it could offer suggestions for that last sentence.  Here is what it proposed: "As we navigate this new frontier, let's commit to a partnership between technology and humanity, crafting educational experiences that are as enriching and diverse as the world around us."  Not bad...I can see where it was going.  But it's a little uncanny and doesn't entirely sound human.  It's getting there though.]

9 Comments