AI university students attending classes

DrNufer
Community Coach
Community Coach

2024-01-18_14-22-19.jpg

At Ferris State University in Michigan, an unprecedented experiment is unfolding that might just redefine the future of education: two AI entities, Ann and Fry, are not just attending classes but actively participating as students. It's not the first time we've seen advanced technology integrated into our classroom, as many institutions have explored adaptive learning and personalized teaching system. Just as IT and HR departments have employed Zendesk technology to field common inquiries, education is also several years into integrating virtual teaching assistants and other techniques to improve the student experience. But this particular experiment may be particularly impactful as we explore the potential of artificial intelligence in higher education as a participant and co-collaborator within the classroom.

The potential with this initiative isn't just about integrating AI into the academic environment; it's also a profound exploration of how we can provide rather unique perspective to the student experience as a complement to traditional teaching methods, which are often criticized for their rigidity. So now we can see how the AI entities will be capable of attending lectures, participating in discussions, and completing assignments, and what their perspectives will provide. It will be interesting to observe the interactions as the AI students will not be bound by limitations such as fatigue or distractions (I completed my undergrad minutes from the beaches of the north shore of Oahu in Hawaii, so I know a couple of things about distractions in an academic setting).

The concept of AI students in a university setting is as much a technological marvel as it is a potential to shift towards a more student-centered learning approach. By analyzing and understanding the AI students' journey, educators and course designers can gain insights into optimizing the learning experience for all students. The presence of AI in classrooms could lead to the development of more adaptive and personalized educational systems, catering to the diverse learning needs of each student. This can also have important ramifications as we make strides toward serving minority, first-generation, international, and traditionally marginalized students. If we can design the AI students to simulate student behaviors and interactions, they can highlight areas in the academic structure that require improvement, from lecture delivery to general curriculum design.

I generated a handful of images for this article.  This one was by far the worst.  The more you look at it, the more awful it is, which is why I think it's great.I generated a handful of images for this article. This one was by far the worst. The more you look at it, the more awful it is, which is why I think it's great.

This initiative also opens doors to more profound research opportunities in using AI for educational purposes. This may be a unique chance to systemically and efficiently assess student learning and performance, or even give us the ability to develop more innovative and transformative teaching methodologies. This can be an exciting step because, quite frankly, the educational arena has seen a much more limited exploration and application of AI and technology compared to other sectors.

As this unfolds, it will be crucial to remember that the goal is not to replace human interaction in education but to enhance it. By embracing AI, we can uncover new ways to enrich the student experience, making education more engaging, adaptive, and effective for every learner. It does beg a question (just my own curiosity), would an initiative such as introducing AI students into an academic program influence students to think more like machines, or will the machines learn to think more like humans. We know from various statements of AI developers that the goal of LLMs is to mimic human linguistics and to calculate responses based on the existing patterns and learned materials. But we humans are incredibly adaptable and versatile creatures and we are keen on imitating and mimicking the people we interact with. How will that play out in a cohort that is part human, part technology? And from an ethical perspective, how might the presence of AI students affect the psychological aspects of learning and interaction among human students?

I do applaud Ferris State's venture as not just a technological experiment, but as a pioneering step towards redefining education. We will need to rethink our approach to teaching and learning as we continue to embrace technology as a catalyst for creating more dynamic, inclusive, and student-centered educational experiences. As we observe the fusion of human intellect and artificial prowess in our classrooms, it's time to reflect: are we prepared to embrace the impending evolution within education?

This article was originally written as a LinkedIn post.

8 Comments