[Assignments] On/Off switch for RCE in Assignments

Problem statement:

Due to state testing requirements students can not have access to editing options we would like to have that environment replicated for students in Canvas. Having a toggle option available in assignments to be able to toggle on or off the editing features as needed.

Proposed solution:

Provide a toggle switch option available in assignments to be able to toggle on or off the editing features as needed by assignment.

User role(s):

admin

6 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @jessica_gutierr -

For assignments, would the Text Submission option work? If not, why is it too limiting? I'm curious to learn more about the unique needs your school has as it prepares students for state testing.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Seeking Clarity

jessica_gutierr
Community Coach
Community Coach
Author

@KristinL We create an assignment at provide the option for text entry and file upload. But the text entry option provides spelling and grammar corrections. 

This is specific to writing. So students are provided with texts and are writing an essay in response to a prompt.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

Thank you for the update! I believe those grammar/spelling corrections originate from the browser, so I am not sure if this is something that can be adjusted within the Assignment. I'll place this thread back in our New status and forward it to the Product Team.

jessica_gutierr
Community Coach
Community Coach
Author

@KristinL Thank you.

I used spelling and grammar part of the example as it is a big piece of it, but it really is all of it highlighting, font changes etc. I have recommended using notepad since it does not allow any editing options. But it would be ideal if they could type their essay in Canvas directly to submit. 

SamGarza1
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Added to Theme